11 October 2006

Hanging Out

The washing that is.

I have always been a bit paranoid about dangling my washing and personal items in general over vast spaces. I have admired people who can hang their washing on poles and lines from buildings ten stories and more above a busy street. And I was always glad that we had a safe indoors-type place, or on-the-balcony washing line.

washing lines

Now I have one of those over-the-edge lines, and it does make me nervous, especially if I am hanging something big like sheets. But I'm getting better at it. Haven't dropped anything yet - other than one clothespeg. But then we are only one floor up.

The other day, I was hanging over the edge looking down at all the pegs previous tenants had dropped, and I noticed a whole bunch of little round tables stored pretty well under our balcony. The whole area is part of the Dilko (the school we work for) courtyard. We had been wondering about getting a little table to put in our kitchen ... Unfortunately, to get to over there to our office we have to go out of our apartment, down the street and around the corner and then back into the office - the gate from the courtyard to our apartment door is locked and protected by shiny new razorwire.

So Peter tied a rope to our balcony, walked down the street and into the office and tied the other end to a table, and then he came back home and hauled it up onto our balcony.

Unfortunately, the first one he hauled up was broken - and he didn't see it until we had it up here. So then he had to lower it back down, disturbing the chap on the floor below who wanted to know what was bumping on his wall. Then he had to go back over to the office courtyard and select another one - which he did expertly this time!

No comments: