12 October 2006

Bash Bits

Do you know what this is?

shampoo

About a week after we arrived, I couldn't believe how itchy my head was. I remember this feeling from when I was teaching primary school during the years of 'nits epidemic' we had in Western Australia ... and I couldn't believe this could be why my head was itchy now.

I asked Peter to take a look, and sure enough there were lots of little white things.

Where did I catch them? From our grandkids in Australia?? From someone here??

In the end it doesn't matter. I have to do something about it.

I found a little chemist shop, the only actual chemist I have seen. There are lots of shops selling beauty products, but this one is a chemist with a single counter and a wall of medicine-laden shelves. A fragile-looking middle-aged lady in a white coat was sitting on a chair resting her arms on the counter.

I walked in and pointed to my head - "bash" (head) - and then I said "bit". Her tired look turned to something more like disapproval as she sat up and backed away a little. I don't remember where I found the word - somewhere on the internet - but apparently it was the correct word. She muttered something to the young lad that was nearby, and he rummaged under the counter and came out with the bottle of good old Kwellada.

I hope this does the trick.

No comments: