29 April 2007

The Flood of 07

I did notice that the little piece of wire holding the washing machine hose in the bath had come loose, and I had the thought that I should do something about it - soon. But I got distracted, and forgot all about it.

We were watching one of my favourite CSI programmes, and it had just got to the good part, but Peter suddenly had to go to the bathroom.

When I heard him yell, I suddenly remembered about the hose.

There is about a 1cm lip at the bathroom door, so naturally the whole bathroom was under water to that level. There is no floor drain in the bathroom.

Escaping from the bathroom, the water had first headed into the second toilet, the old-fashioned 'squat' toilet in the next room. Because of the smell that emanates from this fixture, we had taken the trouble of blocking it up with the top of a large plastic water bottle fitted into it like a plug ... and we had been using the little room as a store.

Having filled that room too, the water headed gleefully towards the lower end of the apartment. We had suspected that we were living in a leaning tower, and now we could see it for sure. I could almost hear it giggling as it slid down the hallway - a small tributary took off into the kitchen and straight under the fridge. As it chuckled it's way past the spare bedroom, another streamlet rushed in there to the far wall and under the spare mattress and chipboard bookshelf.

And then it caught sight of the main bedroom and - with me rushing up behind with all our spare towels - made it's way as fast as it bubbly stream would allow it towards the far wall, the lowest end of the apartment.

It won't happen again. The washing machine hose is securely strapped.

No comments: