03 January 2007

The pigeon did it

We are still on holiday - today is the last day of Bayram (religious holiday), and its raining and blowing outside - finally. The weather so far this "winter" has been cool and clear, quite pleasant.

So after getting up early to listen to the Ashes cricket on the computer, Peter went back to bed. I got up and fed the damp doves on the kitchen windowsill, and then put some bread in the toaster for myself and went back into the living room to use the computer.

Suddenly there was a loud "bang" from the kitchen. Peter popped out of the bedroom all bleary-eyed, wanting to know what had happened. I looked into the kitchen - there was a large wet grey pigeon with a slightly startled look (but don't they always) on the windowsill along with the doves. I figured maybe as it landed on the wet sill its little feet had slid and it banged into the window.

Then I noticed that my toast was 'up' ... but it wasn't even toasted as such. I pushed it back down into the toaster, and of course it wouldn't stay.

So the 'bang' was the toaster ... but whose fault was it? It had to be the pigeon, there was no one else there. Except, of course, the doves, but they are only small.

Peter has always been curious about how things work.

Well, it doesn't work now.

I guess we have voided the warranty too.

No comments: